What a monster this one was! Blake, Joe, and I had a great talk with Sara Hendershot about sport psych for rowing and how to develop a strong mindset for success. We talked for almost 90 minutes straight and I feel like we could’ve all kept going. Whether you’re wrapping up winter season, preparing for spring racing, or just blew up at the CRASH-B’s, I hope this will be helpful to you in your athletic pursuits.
Hear it also on Soundcloud and iTunes
0:00 — Re-introductions and what we’ve been up to over the winter, welcome Sara
5:57 — What constitutes a strong mindset and why is it important for rowing?
- JamesLeath.com: “Defining Mental Toughness”
13:29 — Did you have a strong mindset when you rowed and what would you improve if you could do it again?
30:47 — What are some red flags that someone doesn’t have a strong mindset and how does it hold them back?
38:13 — Mental skills and how to incorporate them into your training and competing
- Carol Dweck, Mindset
- Angela Duckworth, Grit
- Paul Assaiante, Run to the Roar
- Will: Mental Skills for Rowers (3-part series)
- Will: Overcoming Erg Fear
- ABC Model of Cognitive Reframing
- Will’s energization visualization example
- StrongFirst: The Will to Happiness
- Application to the weightroom
- Sara joins #TeamNoBenchPulls
1:16:20 — Psych of injuries, from moment of injury to return
- Sara: Why I Am More Proud Of The Olympics I Failed Than The One I Succeeded
- Will: Stay Positive to Beat the Injury Blues
1:24:04 — Last words and advice