As the fall head racing season wraps up in the US, many teams and rowers are looking to avoid the ice and frostbite by ditching the oars and moving into the weightroom and onto the ergs. Here’s a bundle of articles that will be useful to you as you plan your winter training.
If you’re a spring 2k rower following the block periodization system, the winter training block will be about half specific preparation and half pre-competitive, depending on when exactly your fall season ends and your spring season begins. The typical rowing team will conclude fall in mid-November and resume water training in mid-February. In between the seasons is a great time to restore bilateral (left/right) balance and make great gains to set up the spring competitive training block. Check out “The Basics of Strength Training for Rowing” for an overview of annual periodization and how all of these blocks fit together with the goal of peak spring 2k performance, then read the other articles for how to accomplish it!
- Sport Specialization is Not the Answer
- If you can play another sport, go do it!
- Overcoming Erg Fear
- Kill two birds with one stone and improve your physical and mental performance this winter
- 3-Part Mental Skills for Rowers Series
- Set goals and develop some mental armor
- Basics of Strength Training for Rowing
- Overview of the block periodization system for rowing
- Peak Power Training for Rowing
- How to use the weightroom to train for rowing power
- Strength Training for Masters Rowers
Learn the Lifts
- 5 Lifts to Make you a Better Rower, Part 1
- 5 Lifts to Make you a Better Rower, Part 2
- How to Train Your Rower: The Squat
- FAQ: Squatting for Rowing
- How to Train Your Rower: The Deadlift
- FAQ: Deadlifts for Rowing
- How to Train Your Rower: The Overhead Press
- FAQ: Overhead Press for Rowing
- Core Training for Rowing
Improve Your Mobility
The Strength Coach Roundtable
- Take us with you on those long erg sessions! I break down strength training topics in rowing with fellow rowing strength coaches Blake Gourley and Joe Deleo. Old episodes and upcoming ones here at Rowperfect UK.